(Please click on address to see photo.)
Chrichton House, built in 1893
in the Stick/Queen Anne Style. Details include diagonal wood
siding and a sunburst panel, spindle porch posts, a large
dormer on the front elevation and an asymmetrical facade.
Hoyt House, built in 1906 by
the Wilson Brothers, local builders, and designed by Frank
Lloyd Wright in the Prairie Style. The house has common Prairie
style characteristics, including wide eaves, a low-pitched
roof, a broad, low chimney, and a wood panel design that creates
Clark-Eddowes House, built around
1848 or earlier by Samuel Nye Clark of Genevas early
"Boston Colony." The brick house is in the Greek
Revival style. The house is 2-1/2 stories, with an architrave,
frieze, stone lintels and sills, and a deep gable cornice.
Originally there were no porch, west addition or bay on north
side. Rev. Timothy Eddowes was a Unitarian minister who lived
there with his widowed sister, Emma Eddowes Beebe, and conducted
a private school for boys before the turn of the century.
This house was presented with a plaque by the Geneva Historical
Society in 1948.
Augustus Herrington House, constructed
in 1851 by J. C. Herrington in the Italianate Villa style.
Augustus Herrington was a prominent lawyer and son of James
and Charity Herrington, Genevas founding family. This
house was presented with a plaque by the Geneva Historical
Society in 1954.
Eben Conant House, constructed
in 1844 out of locally quarried limestone which is referred
to as "riverstone." A simple, symmetrical 1-1/2
story house with flush stone sills and lintels, a single central
chimney and cornice returns on the gable ends. The entrance
is on the side. Originally part of a complex which included
a storage building and the Augustus Conant House (1842) which
was moved to 18 Campbell Street in the 1920s. This house was
presented with a plaque by the Geneva Historical Society in
Walter House, constructed c.
1855 of local riverstone by John Rudolph Schmoldt in the Classical
Revival style. The gable front vernacular was a common house
type from the early 19th century into the 20th
century. This house was presented with a plaque by the Geneva
Historical Society in 1981.
This frame house was constructed
in 1888 with a front-facing gable and a bracketed cornice
DeGrout House was constructed
in 1856 by Lyman Bixby in the Greek Revival style. The house
has a two-story temple form center with full pediment flanked
by symmetrical one-story wings. Each wing includes a porch
with square pillars and simple capitals. This house was presented
with a plaque by the Geneva Historical Society in 1976.
This simple frame house was constructed
in the early 1920s with clapboard siding and decorative fishscale
shingles in the front gable end.
August Wilson House, constructed
in 1916 by August Wilson in the Prairie-Four Square style.
August and his brother Oscar were local builders who studied
under Frank Lloyd Wright at Taliesin. The Wilson brothers
constructed numerous houses and commercial buildings in the
Geneva Historic District.
Dodson House, constructed in
1873 for Mr. & Mrs. Charles Dodson. Charles was the eldest
son of Christian B. and Harriet Dodson, early settlers of
Geneva who are credited with naming the town Geneva. The house
is an example of the Italianate style, with vertical windows,
bracketed eaves, and intricately carved braces on the clustered
c. 1900 Queen Anne, pointed recessed arch with shingles in
front and side gables.
Westgarth-Crary House, constructed
in 1849 of local riverstone by George Westgarth, a local stone
mason. The vernacular house was bought by Elias Crary in 1854.
The house is two stories, with bargeboard on bracketed eaves,
carved stone panels set under first floor windows, a low,
hipped roof and three chimneys. This house was presented with
a plaque by the Geneva Historical Society in 1973.
Geneva Public Library, constructed
in 1908. This stone building was built from a Carnegie grant
and has Prairie Style influences. Elements include low-pitched
over hanging eaves, half-timbering in the gable ends, and
a large stone chimney. The library has several contemporary
additions which compliment the original building.
Constructed in the 1890s, this
house is a simple example of the Stick Style, with stick detailing
in the trussed gables and porch. Other detailing includes
spindle porch posts, wood window and door surrounds, and a
decorative shingle pattern in the gable end.
South River Lane
McKinley House, constructed in
1843. This early Geneva home is constructed of local riverstone
and is a vernacular gable-front and wing, a building type
common only in the northeastern and midwestern states. There
are stone lintels and sills on the windows. This house was
presented with a plaque by the Geneva Historical Society in
This brick home was constructed
in 1931 in the Tudor Revival style. Elements of the style
include a high-pitched gabled roof and front gable, with elaborated
stone chimney on the main facade.
Originally home of Benjamin Boyce.
This late 19th century commercial building is constructed
of riverstone with its main façade of brick. The majority
of the windows have stone lintels and sills, while the second
floor windows on the main façade have arched pressed metal
window hoods. The main façade also has a pressed metal cornice
and semi-circular arched pediment with a finial on the peak.
Unitarian Church, constructed
in 1843 in the Neo-Classical/Greek Revival style. It is the
oldest church in Geneva. It is constructed of local riverstone
and stucco. The building was extended to five bays, the belfry
was added, and the double doors were installed in 1855. In
1874 the vestibule was added and the balcony removed. In 1879,
the pews and stained glass were donated by Mr. and Mrs. W.D.
Turner. An addition was added in 1956. This house was presented
with a plaque by the Geneva Historical Society in 1955.
Scott-Alexander House, constructed
in 1853. This frame house is vernacular with Greek Revival
elements. This house was presented with a plaque by the Geneva
Historical Society in 1956.
Joshel House, constructed in
1916 by the Wilson Brothers, local builders who studied under
Frank Lloyd Wright at Taliesin. This brick foursquare has
Prairie Style influences, such as the low over-hanging eaves
on the roof, porch and dormer, the windows at the eave line,
and a horizontality to the house. The house was built for
Mayer A. Joshel, who was a prominent businessman in coal and
grain, and was also the mayor of Geneva in the early 19th
Isaac Wilson House, constructed
in 1876 of frame construction. The basic form of the house
is Italianate, a box with hipped roof. Applied to the house
are architectural and decorative elements which derive from
the uniquely American Stick Style. Window and door hoods have
Eastlake ornament traits. There are small brackets and a horizontal
band which wraps around the middle of the house. The porch
is given great prominence in this house, and the porch pillars
and braces contain all the elements which point forward to
more completely developed Stick Style homes of the 1880s and
1890s in Geneva.
This frame house was constructed
by John Rogers in 1876. The clapboard house is vernacular
in style, with simple decorative wood sills and hoods. A broad,
brick chimney includes bands of corbeled brickwork.
Charles B. Wells House, constructed
in 1850 in the Greek Revival, is one of Genevas most
distinguished structures. It is built in the form of a temple,
two and one-half stories, with a full Doric portico and four
engaged pilasters. It has a full gable pediment over a high
entablature, and the architrave and frieze are separated by
a line of fine dentil molding. A local Geneva carpenter channeled
the Doric columns. The original frame siding was covered with
stucco about the turn of the century. The Wells House was
purchased by Dr. Raymond Scott in 1891 and established Colonial
Hospital, which remained in the house until 1925. In 1952,
the house was converted for commercial use.
Loveday House, constructed in
1869 for Chicago lawyer Charles W.F. Smith. Smith sold the
house to William Loveday in 1870 for $5,000. This frame building
is designed in the Gothic Revival style and conforms to the
ideal of the Picturesque Movement. The house includes several
projecting wings, a high roof interrupted by dormers, gable
ends decorated with trefoil-shaped vents, and round-ended
bargeboard with applied zig-zag molding and open carved leaf
designs. This house was presented with a plaque by the Geneva
Historical Society in 1972.
Kane County Courthouse, constructed
in 1892. This red brick, limestone, and iron frame building
was designed by architects Edbrooke and Burnham and is neo-Romanesque
in spirit but not detail. The courthouse is medieval in its
massiveness and permanence, but 19th century in
its high, square dome, it smooth brick face, and in the variety
of its window courses. The structure is masonry wall construction
reinforced with iron beams and the load-bearing walls are
more than a foot thick. A variety of materials are included
in the building, including red brick, red sandstone, chocolate
brick, cut stone, terra cotta, structural and decorative iron
work, marble, tile, red oak, white pine, Douglas fir, slate
and tin. It replaced the previous riverstone courthouse which
burned in 1890.
This wood-frame vernacular commercial
structure dates to the late 19th century and includes
a wood parapet with brackets.
Yates Building, constructed of
local riverstone in 1848, is one of the earliest commercial
buildings remaining in Geneva. This house was presented with
a plaque by the Geneva Historical Society in 1950.
Community Block, constructed
c. 1885. This ornate commercial building has a stamped metal
false front covering the second floor, including the cornice,
pilasters, window caps and sills, and ornamental finials.
The core of the building possibly dates to the early 1870s,
with the two street facades being updated around 1885 to their
The commercial brick building
was constructed in the early 20th century. The
building includes stone detailing, stone acroterion, or ornament,
at the corners and a decorative frieze on the parapet.
Gaunt and Field Bank (Central
Market), constructed c. 1880. This brick commercial structure
includes vertical arched windows on the second floor, decorative
brick banding, and a decorative metal cornice. The Gaunt and
Field bank was later absorbed into the State Bank of Geneva.
The Payne Block,
constructed in 1915. This brick commercial structure includes
a limestone band course with stone brackets and a brick parapet
with stone cap.