The original item was published from March 1, 2021 1:33 PM to December 22, 2021 11:53 AM
Each year millions of travelers visit welcoming, historic places across America.
Today, Geneva is a popular destination due, in part, to heritage tourism, which invites people to travel to and experience those places that authentically represent American stories and people of the past. Our clusters of historic homes and storefronts, filled with independent businesses, create a unique setting in the far western suburbs. Undoubtedly, our variety of dining options contributes towards making historic Geneva a destination to “Shop, Dine and Experience.”
Photo: Villa Verone Ristorante Italiano, 416 Hamilton St.
Recognizing that historic restaurants significantly contribute to local community identity, American Express has collaborated with the National Trust for Historic Preservation to award 25 restaurants across the United States $1 million. Restaurants must:
- Have experienced significant financial hardship due to the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Have operated and contributed to the neighborhood’s history and/or identity for at least 25 years.
- Be a small/independently owned-restaurant located in a historic building and/or historic neighborhood.
- Preference will be given to businesses owned by underrepresented groups, including people of color and women, disproportionately impacted by the pandemic.
- Priority will be given to small restaurants who have not already received significant COVID-19 related aid.
If you have a favorite restaurant that you believe meets this criteria, submit a nomination form by Tuesday, March 9.