The original item was published from May 5, 2021 2:50 PM to March 1, 2022 12:05 AM
As the weather turns for the better each spring, you often see more motorcycles populate the roadway. Each year, the Geneva Police Department responds to traffic crashes involving motorcycles, which can be preventable if these simple safety recommendations are followed:
- Passenger car drivers must allow greater following distance behind a motorcycle.
- Drivers must show extra caution in intersections.
- Most crashes occur when a driver fails to see a motorcyclist and turns left in front of a motorcycle.
- Drivers should never try to share a lane with a motorcycle. Always give a motorcycle the full lane width.
- Motorcyclists should avoid riding in poor weather conditions when possible.
- Motorcyclists should position their motorcycles to avoid a driver's blind spot.
- Motorcyclists should utilize appropriate safety equipment.
Thank you for taking driving safety seriously. We look forward to a safe and enjoyable summer for our residents and those who visit our community.