The original item was published from June 15, 2021 4:25 PM to April 1, 2022 12:00 AM
With the State of Illinois moving into Phase 5, special events are beginning to make a return to Geneva.
Swedish Days will be the first major festival held in quite some time. It is important to remember that with the resumption of community events, 5K runs, and marathons, comes increased traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular. To assure for a safe return to events season, it is important to follow some basic safety guidelines.
- Watch for pedestrians and stop for them in the crosswalk;
- If you are a pedestrian, make sure motorists see you prior to stepping out into the crosswalk;
- Do not use electronic devices when driving unless they are hands free. Even then, it is recommended that you do not utilize your phone when driving in heavy traffic or near pedestrians;
- Wear your seat belt;
- Be patient when driving through the heavier than normal traffic;
- Be alert for temporary parking restrictions; and
- Do not drink and drive. There are a multitude of alternative transportation options available.
Thank you for partnering with us to make the 2021 summer safe and memorable.