Posted on August 4, 2022 at 9:30 AM by Kevin Stahr
On behalf of the men and women of the Geneva Police Department, I hope that you have had a safe and enjoyable summer. One of the most common concerns expressed to the Police Department is speeding.
As we prepare to embark on another school year, I thought it was a good time to provide some important statistics in regards to speeding. Speeding is involved in 1/3 of all motor vehicle fatalities nationwide. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics for 2021 show traffic deaths grew by 10.5% to 42,915. This is the highest number since 2005 and the highest annual percentage increase in all of the recorded history of this data!
Speeding is more than just breaking the law. It causes the following:
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control;
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment;
- Increased stopping distance after the driver perceives a danger;
- A car going 30 mph will need 110 feet to completely stop, if you are going 60 mph that increases to over 300 feet (almost an entire football field);
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more significant injuries;
- Economic implications of a speed-related crash; and
- Increased fuel consumption/cost.
Please join us in assuring that we provide the safest roadways possible for our residents and those who work in and visit our amazing community. By simply following the posted speed limits, we will have a greater likelihood of reducing traffic crashes within Geneva and reducing the severity of those crashes that do occur.
Thank you and please enjoy the remainder of the summer.