The original item was published from December 7, 2022 2:33 PM to April 6, 2023 3:13 PM
The holiday season is a special time of the year. It can be an opportunity to visit with friends and family that we do not get to see often enough. Unfortunately this busy time of year also leaves some vulnerable to theft and other crimes associated with the holiday season. We can never be too prepared. With that in mind, I have compiled some safety tips for you to consider this holiday season.
While we are extremely fortunate to live in a community as safe as Geneva, these are some tips to consider when you are out shopping:
- If you are shopping at night, park in a well-lighted area;
- Park as close to your destination as you are able;
- Never leave your car running and unoccupied;
- Do not leave your valuables or packages in plain view inside your car; and
- Be aware of your surroundings when you are approaching or leaving your vehicle.
When it comes to shopping with the little ones in busy stores here are some things to consider:
- Advise your child to go to a store clerk, security personnel, or police officer If they become separated from you;
- The stores are so busy that it is very easy for our children to get lost. Keep them as close to you as you can; and
- Never leave your children unattended in the car
When it comes to home security, there are a few steps that you can take to lessen the likelihood that you will become the victim of a crime. Some of these steps include:
- Make sure that your doors and windows are locked. If you have an alarm system, make sure that it is armed. Most burglaries are crimes of opportunity.
- If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, have a neighbor or family member collect your mail and newspapers. If snow is expected, have someone clear your driveway while you are away. In addition, the Geneva Police Department offers vacation checks while you are away. There is no charge and applications can be picked up at the police department.
- Make sure that your neighbors know that you will be away so they can alert the police to suspicious activity.
- Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer. In addition, motion-detecting outdoor lights are very beneficial. Make every effort to appear you are home.
- Holiday gifts should not be visible from windows or doors in your home.
- If you are having packages delivered, attempt to have them picked up by a trusted neighbor if you are not home. There has been an increase in package thefts every year nationwide.
We hope that you have found these tips helpful. We wish you a safe, happy and peaceful holiday season.