Posted on January 23, 2023 at 3:08 PM by Kevin Stahr
Happy New Year! January is generally one of the colder and snowier months of the year. Each winter, we respond to numerous traffic crashes that occur on snow and/or ice-covered roadways. I wanted to take a few minutes of your time to provide some basic winter driving reminders.
Following these simple steps may make it less likely you are involved in an accident this winter.
- Leave plenty of time to reach your destination;
- Reduce your speed;
- If you do not have to travel in inclement weather, stay home;
- Wear your seatbelt;
- Turn your headlights on;
- Leave plenty of room between you and other vehicles;
- Give space to snow plows so they can clear the roadways safely;
- Watch out for black ice, especially on bridges and elevated roadways that tend to ice up more quickly.
Last but not least, while we all prefer to get into a warm car, warming up your unattended vehicle is an opportunity for someone to steal it. Each winter, police agencies throughout the Fox Valley respond to vehicles stolen in this manner. If you are going to warm up your vehicle, it is recommended that you utilize a remote starter.
The Geneva Police Department hopes that you have a safe winter season.