The Geneva Police Department wants parents and children to have a fun Halloween experience, but please make safety a top priority for our little ghosts and goblins.
As noted above, participating Geneva downtown businesses will be handing out candy to children from 2 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 30.
Children should trick-or-treat in their neighborhoods between the City's recommended hours of 3 to 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 31. Parents should take an active role in this process by making sure their families follow these safety tips:
• Wear light-colored clothing or some type of reflective material for better visibility.
• Ensure costumes fit and are worn in a manner that prevents tripping.
• If children wear masks, make sure they can see clearly and their visibility is not obstructed.
• Small children should always be accompanied by an adult.
• Go out in the daylight when possible and carry a flashlight for use if out after dark.
• Only give and accept wrapped candy.
• Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
• Carrying hard props such as swords and daggers should be substituted with soft foam rubber items.
• Stay within familiar neighborhoods.
• Watch for traffic.
Have a Happy Halloween!