News Release Written by Nicor Gas
With the arrival of the blizzard in February, Nicor Gas wants to offer customers some tips to keep you and your family safe this winter.
Blowing and drifting snow can lead to snow and ice accumulation on or near a natural gas meter or outdoor appliance venting that may be dangerous if not removed. Snow and ice accumulation can cause equipment malfunctions and possibly lead to safety issues. A blocked exhaust vent can affect the performance of the furnace and can result in carbon monoxide buildup inside the home or building.
To ensure safe and continued delivery of natural gas, Nicor Gas would like to remind customers of the following winter weather guidelines:
• Keep meters clear of snow and ice
• Remove icicles that may drip water onto meter
• Use a broom to move snow away from meter; avoid using shovels or snow blowers
• Check outdoor vent openings and air intakes to ensure appliances are not obstructed by snow or ice or any other debris
• Ensure the gas meter is visible and accessible at all times
• Heavy snow and ice may weigh down power lines and tree limbs, causing them to fall. If a natural gas meter is damaged or gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call the 24-hour emergency response line, at 1-888-Nicor4u (1-888-642-6748) from a safe location