The City of Geneva is looking for a few good men and women to dedicate their time and talents on several volunteer boards that have openings.
The City has vacant seats on the following advisory boards and commissions, which meet to discuss a variety of municipal business topics and make recommendations to the City Council, including the:
• Plan Commission – Ensures the City’s plans, goals, policies, land-use ordinances and regulations are promoting coordinated development within Geneva.
• Economic Development Commission – Understands the needs of the business community so their viewpoint can be taken into consideration as public policy is created.
• Historic Preservation Commission – Preserves Geneva’s rich history by maintaining the integrity and visual appeal of Geneva’s historic homes and buildings.
• Strategic Plan Advisory Committee – Prioritizes community goals outlined in the City’s strategic plan, encourages citizen input and assists with goal implementation.
• Mental Health Board – Represents the health sector to discuss community issues regarding mental health, developmental disabilities and substance abuse.
Residents interested in serving on one of the City’s volunteer boards should submit an application along with a letter of interest to Mayor Kevin Burns, Geneva City Hall, 22 S. First St., Geneva, IL 60134. The envelope should include a reference to the specific board being sought.
Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to be considered for the position:
• Be a legal U.S. citizen;
• Live in Geneva for a minimum of one year;
• Be a registered voter;
• Have no felony convictions; and
• Be current on taxes and payments to the City.
Mayor Burns will review all the applications and bring forward nominations to the City Council for a formal vote.
An application and more information about each board can be found on the City’s website at www.geneva.il.us; click on the “City Government” tab and then select “Boards & Commissions” from the drop-down menu.
For the EDC position, preference will be given to candidates from the industrial sector or from a major employer. Applicants need to fill out a specific application that can be found on the EDC’s webpage.