Parking Information

For any parking questions that aren't answered below please email us.

Where can I park when I take the train into Chicago?

Answer: Parking is limited around the train station. Daily parking lots cost $2 per day in the parking deck (now 540 spaces with the third-tier expansion) and $1.75 per day in the overflow lot off of Route 31. Daily parking on normal workdays in the garage fills up by 7 a.m.

There are three city-owned permit lots for regular commuters. These are identified in grey on the attached map. The cost for a three-month permit is $100 for Geneva residents and $125 for non-residents. Currently there is a 1-year waiting list for these permits. You may pick up a registration form at the Police Department or download it off the website). The completed form must be returned to the police department by mail or in person.

There is free parking on the old Seigle property bordered by South Street, South Fourth Street, Crescent Street and South Third Street. However, there is no parking allowed between 2 and 8:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. There shall be no parking charge within the City's parking deck during the following periods:

  • 4 to 11:59 p.m. Monday through Friday; and
  • 12 a.m. on Saturday to 11:59 p.m. on Sundays (No overnight parking is permitted).

Is there overnight parking allowed on the streets in Geneva?

Answer: Parking is permitted overnight on most streets within the City of Geneva. Parking is prohibited between 2 and 6 a.m. on State Street between River and Sixth streets; Third Street between Hamilton and James streets; and Second Street between Hamilton and State streets. Also, no vehicle can be parked for more than 24 consecutive hours on any street or in any city-owned parking lot. Overnight parking is also prohibited in the parking garage.

There are several streets in the downtown area where parking is prohibited between 2 and 8:30 a.m. except on weekends and holidays. Appropriate signage will be posted to identify these streets. Residents living on pre-designated streets will be eligible to receive, free of charge, a parking permit(s) which will allow them to park their vehicle on the street that they live on without regard to the prohibited overnight parking restrictions. Residential Parking Permit or a Temporary Residential Parking Permit forms are available for completion at the Geneva Police Department. No forms will be accepted via mail or sent through the mail. Individuals must return their form to the Police Department in person.

Is there a ban on parking on the streets during a snowstorm?

Answer: Yes! After 2 inches of snow has fallen there is a parking ban on designated snow routes. These snow routes are plainly marked. But, if you have a question concerning whether or not a particular street is a snow route or not, please call either Public Works at 630-232-1501 or the Geneva Police Department at 630-232-4736.

After 3 inches of snow has fallen there is a parking ban on all streets within the City. This ban remains in effect until 12 hours after the snowfall or if the street is cleared of snow and ice for the length of an entire block. Vehicles parked in violation of either of these bans will be ticketed and may be towed at the owner's expense.

The Public Works Department can declare a parking ban, which are then enforced by the Police Department, during such times as snow removal is necessary to promote the public safety and welfare of the community. During a snowstorm, the City posts community alerts on its website regarding parking and plowing operations. People can subscribe to receive alerts via "Notify Me."

I'm disabled, how do I get a handicapped placard?

Answer: Permanent handicapped placards or license plates are issued by the State of Illinois to people who are "unable to walk 200 feet or more unassisted by another person or without the aid of a walker, crutches, braces, prosthetic device wheelchair or without great difficulty or discomfort due to the following impairments: neurological, orthopedic, respiratory, cardiac, arthritic disorder, blindness or loss of function or absence of a limb, or limbs."

A licensed physician must sign the application for a handicapped placard or plates. The Geneva Police Department has the forms for a State issued placard or plate. We also issue temporary handicapped placards to Geneva residents to help them while the State is processing their application. The temporary handicapped placard can also be issued to Geneva residents while they are recovering from a temporary injury or illness. The requirements for the temporary handicapped placard are the same as for a State handicapped placard. However, they are only valid for a three-month period.

You may download an application form for either a State issued or Geneva Police Department temporary handicapped placard. The completed form(s) should then be brought to the Police Department for processing.

I'm planning a neighborhood block party. Do I have to notify the Police Department?

Answer: Yes! All neighborhood block parties must be approved by the Geneva Police Department. A registration form can be picked up at the Police Department or found on our website. The completed form must be returned to the Police Department by mail or in person.

The Police Department will contact Public Works and have any needed barricades dropped off for use at the block party. If you should have any questions concerning block parties, please call the Police Department at 630-232-4736 and ask to speak to Commander Maduzia.

I plan to visit downtown Geneva. Where can I park?

Geneva's downtown shopping district offers ample public parking within easy walking distance to Geneva's quaint shops. Most parking is free. There is a small fee for the commuter parking deck located near the train station as well as the overflow commuter lot. The Downtown Parking Map denotes parking time limits as well as any fees.