Irrigation / Backflow Device Information

**Information regarding lawn irrigation**
The City of Geneva Water Division has received phone calls from residents regarding a letter that has been sent from Municipal Backflow. To avoid confusion, customers should be advised that Municipal Backflow is not associated with the City. 

The City has contracted with Aqua Backflow for the past several years to track and send out notices of when backflow devices (cross-connection) need to be tested. Devices can be tested by any number of Certified Cross-Connection Control Device Inspectors.

The City has adopted Ordinance #97-05 requiring all industrial, commercial and residential customers (residential customers with underground irrigation systems) to have their backflow device tested upon installation and annually thereafter. This test must be performed by a State of Illinois Certified Cross-Connection Control Device Inspector. Failure to comply with this ordinance is subject to discontinuance of your water service.

In order to comply with Illinois Pollution Control Board Regulations, 35 Illinois Administrative Code 601.101 and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, all Public Water Supplies are required to have an active Cross-Connection Control Program.

A Cross-Connection is a link through where it is possible for contaminating materials to enter the drinking water supply when the pressure of the private water source exceeds the pressure of the public drinking water source. This action is called backflow.

All active irrigation devices must be tested and will be monitored for compliance.

If you chose not to utilize your irrigation system, a temporary removal form must be completed and submitted annually. Follow the instructions and submit your completed form, along with a photo of your device which shows that your device is not installed, to Aqua Backflow at, or by U.S. mail to Aqua Backflow's address (located on the form).

Please be advised that a $15 yearly administration fee for residential lawn irrigation systems will be automatically added to your May utility bill. The City has reduced this fee by $10 per year due to charges that your plumber is now required to report to Aqua Backflow regarding your results. Refunds will not be given on this fee unless you have permanently disconnected your underground irrigation system. If this is the case, you must contact the Public Works office at 630-232-1551 and arrange to have an inspection preformed on your system to determine if it has been properly disconnected.