The City has owned and operated a Municipal Electric Distribution System since 1896. The City operates the system without competition from other suppliers or distributors of electrical power. The system is not subject to regulation by the Illinois Commerce Commission.
The City's electric system is inter-connected to the Commonwealth Edison's (ComEd) 34.5 kV sub-transmission system in seven locations, which include the South Street, Peyton Street, Keslinger Road, Delnor Hospital, Western Avenue, East Side Drive and the Geneva Business Park substations. The City's distribution system voltage is 12.47 kV.
The City owns and operates a 30 MW natural gas peaking power plant consisting of five reciprocating engine/generators. The power plant is located within the corporate limits of the City, and is interconnected with the City's distribution system. The City's power plant is economically dispatched based upon day-ahead market prices. This procedure reduces the City's purchased power costs, transmission and capacity costs from the regional transmission provider PJM.
The City has several multi-year power sales agreements:
WMRE is a landfill gas generator located within its corporate limits. The generator provides about 8 percent of the City's energy requirements.
NextEra Energy Power Marketing, LLC which began in 2014 and ends Dec. 31, 2031. This agreement handles about 17 percent of the City's energy requirements.
The City is a member of the Northern Illinois Municipal Power Agency. NIMPA owns 7.6 percent of Prairie State Generating Company. NIMPA generates about 74 percent of the City's energy requirements.