The Geneva City Council approved new garage sale regulations in 2015 in response to certain properties operating sales on a routine basis or for prolonged periods of time.
Permits will not be required, but garage sales conducted in Geneva will need to comply with the following regulations:
- Each garage sale is limited to no more than three consecutive days;
- A maximum of three garage sales may take place on any one property in the same calendar year;
- Garage sale signs cannot exceed 6 square feet and must be placed on private residential property (limit one per lot);
- Up to four smaller temporary directional signs (4 square feet and no taller than 3 feet) may be placed daily in the City’s right-of-way on the day of the event and be removed each evening; and
- All merchandise must be displayed on private property and should not intrude onto public right-of-way.
Residents with questions or concerns about garage sales can call the City’s Building Division at 630-262-0280.